About The Library
The library strives to disseminate knowledge and culture in Saudi society, concentrating on the Arabic and Islamic heritage and the history of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and its founder King Abdulaziz. It seeks to offer a high level of excellence in service in order to meet the expectations of its patrons, answer their needs and earn their satisfaction.
King Abdulaziz Public Library is a philanthropic institution which was founded and supported by the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah Bin Abdulaziz, Chairman of its Board of Directors. Established on 5 Rajab A.H.1405 (1985), the library was officially opened by the King on 10 Rajab A.H.1408, corresponding to 27 February 1987. The library is a complete unit incorporating the most modern equipment and systems which correspond to the requirements of students and researchers. The idea behind the establishment of the library and the noble goals which it incorporates, and the detailed planning which preceded it, were all designed to enable it to reach the highest levels of perfection in all its departments and its various areas of endeavor, employing the most moderns and advanced methods in the service of culture and knowledge. At the same time, King Abdulaziz Library responds to the different needs of its patrons; scholars, researchers, students, women and children can all find what they need within it, each in accordance with his or her age group, intellectual abilities and educational background. Finally, the institution of the library was completed by a Royal Decree dated 4/2/A.H.1417 which set up a philanthropic organization to be known as the King Abdulaziz Public Library.
Goals of the Library
King Abdulaziz Public Library aims to achieve the following goals:
1. Make available and organize all the different receptacles of information, such as books, journals, audiovisual materials and manuscripts in the various branches of knowledge.
2. Concern for the collection and documentation of all forms of Arab as well as foreign intellectual output, including journals and research concerned with the history of King Abdulaziz and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in general.
3. Dissemination of knowledge, culture and information, especially Arabic and Islamic, and attention to Arab and Islamic culture, as well as participation in its revival and renewal.
4. Provide library services, translation and academic publishing in the area of the Arab and Islamic sciences in order to realize the development of academic research in the Kingdom.
5. Support of the movement of writing, translation and academic publishing in the Arab and Islamic sciences, in order to develop academic publishing in the Kingdom.
6. Participation in community service through organization of cultural and academic lectures and conferences, in addition to exhibitions and festivals, and participation in such events.
7. Construction and documentation of Arab and foreign intellectual production in the area of horses and equestrian matters, in order to support specialized research and studies in this area.
Board of Directors of the King Abdulaziz Public Library
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah Bin Abdulaziz
Executive Chairman of the Board of Directors of the King Abdulaziz Public Library
Executive Chairman of the library's Board of Directors
Prince Mutib Bin Abdulazi
President of the National Guard
HRH Prince Abdulaziz Bin Abdullah Bin Abdulaziz
Deputy of Foreign Affairs Minister
HE Ibrahim A. al-Tasan
Head of Private Affairs for the Custodian of the two Holy Mosques
HE Feisal A. al-Muammar
General Supervisor of the Library
HE Dr. Abd al-Rahman H. al-Said
Consultant at the Court of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques
President of King Saud University
President of Al-Imam Muhammad Ibn Saud Islamic University
Sheikh Dr. Abd al-Wahhab Abu Sulayman
Member of the Council of Senior Religious Scholars
Dr. Abd al-Rahman al-Ansari
Member of the Supreme Commission for Tourism
Dr. Abd al-Aziz M. al-Subayyil
Undersecretary of Culture and Information for Cultrual Relations