The National Cultural Project for the Renewal of Our Relationship with the Book
The project is one of the leading national sustainable cultural projects of the King Abdul-Aziz Public Library in the field of modernization, development and knowledge stimulation that have been entrusted to it. This project bridges the gap and deepens the links between the receiver and the book in order to create an appropriate, nurturing environment for creativity, innovation, research, reading and accessing fields through the book, which is an inspiring source of culture and knowledge, and one of the most important complementary tools for raising the level of cultural awareness and providing opportunities to acquire knowledge and various professional skills.
Official approval was issued on 7 April 2003/ 4 Safr 1424 AH) to design a national cultural project focused on the book, with the library being the headquarters of the project secretariat, with the project being attached to it. The purpose of the project is to raise awareness of the importance of reading and to motivate receivers to achieve a more active and innovative life by using books since they are one of the most powerful means of influencing people's minds.
- To popularise recreational reading among all segments and strata of society, raise awareness of the importance of reading, publicize its benefits on all levels, and gain knowledge, since that is the only and essential entrance into the future.
- To raise awareness of the importance of the book as a source of knowledge in the light of the technological development in means of communication and obtaining knowledge.
- To raise awareness of the culture of reading among all strata of society.
- To provide appropriate books for different segments of society in libraries and public waiting spaces (airports, medical clinics, sports clubs, etc.).
- To conduct research and studies to find out why certain segments and strata of society are reluctant to read, and explore how to remedy this reluctance, and how to popularise reading, and what areas of reading are favoured by different social groupings.
1. A Recreational Reading Festival for Students of Public Education
To conduct reading and story-telling activities and events for male pupils in the branches of the Library, and to visit female students in their schools with a specialized reading team, and put on a number of teacher training courses for male and female teachers.
2. The Mobile Library
The purpose of the Mobile Library is to contribute to the promotion of reading. The Library has prepared two reading buses equipped with books and stories suitable for different segments of society. They attend cultural events in a number of areas of the Kingdom.
3. Mobile learning resources
These help to promote reading in public places. The Library has prepared another two reading buses equipped with books and stories suitable for different segments of society. The two buses are in Riyadh's municipal squares five days a week, helping people to enjoy themselves doing recreational reading.
4. The King Abdul-Aziz Public Library Airport Branch
This branch provides a range of suitable books and makes them available to travellers through the Kingdom's airports. This program benefits large numbers of travellers, with a 24/7 service and with the books being renewed regularly to suit both adults and young people.
5. A meeting point for their reading experiences
Regular fora are held in which cultural figures and intellectuals talk about their reading experiences as role models and readers with rich reading experiences.
6. Cultural Fora
The Project holds a variety of fora and participatory events that help to promote a reading culture.
Contact with us
Follow the project on Twitter @ReadingNCRP